Job Description - Medical Social Worker
The medical social worker is responsible for the implementation of standards of care for medical social work services.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Assesses the psychosocial status of patients related to the patient’s illness and environment.
2. Carries out social evaluations and plans intervention based on evaluation findings.
3. Maintains clinical records on all patients referred to social work.
4. Provides information and referral services for Organization patients and families/caregivers regarding practical and environmental needs.
5. Provides information to patients or families/caregivers and community agencies.
6. Serves as liaison between patients or families/caregivers and community agencies.
7. Maintains collaborative relationships with Organization agency personnel to support patient care.
8. Maintains and develops contracts with public and private agencies as resources for patient and agency personnel.
9. Participates in the development of the total plan of care and case conferences as required.
10. Assists physician and other team members in understanding significant social and emotional factors related to health problems.
11. Participates in discharge planning.
12. Other duties as delegated by the Clinical Director/supervisor.
The above statements are only meant to be a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by staffs of this job. The staffs may be requested to perform job related tasks other than those stated in this description.
1. Graduate of a Master’s program in social work accredited by the Council on Social Work Education.
2. Minimum of one year’s experience in health care.
3. Experience in a home health care preferred.
4. Demonstrates good verbal and written communication, and organization skills.
5. Possesses and maintains current CPR certification.